•  
  •  
The history of South Knoxville Baptist Church dates back to February 1889, when a group of Baptists living south of the Tennessee River saw the need of a place of worship.  They began meeting in the old James Hill School Building just off of Davenport Road.  There were twenty-one charter members when the church was constituted February 17, 1889.

On August 18 of that year the name of the church was changed to Third Baptist Church of Knoxville, but was changed back to the original name of South Knoxville Baptist Church in October of 1908.

Immediately following organization of the church, plans for the construction of a church building were begun on a plot of land donated by Joseph A. Jones, Sr.  The first building was completed in 1894 and served the congregation until it was struck by lightning and burned to the ground in August, 1902.  The rebuilt church was occupied until July 1927 when the congregation moved across Atchley Street to a new stone building. That was used for worship services until it was burned at the hands of an arsonist on July 28, 1974.  The church was rebuilt in November 1977.

In 2001 we welcomed Rev. Peter Ambrose as our Minister of Music.  Peter has served in several churches and brings to us a wide range of knowledge in church music.  

In 2006 Dr. Glenn Sullivan became pastor at South Knoxville Baptist.  Dr. Sullivan serves our needs as a preacher and also serves as a pastor to our members and community.  

With the closing of the Baptist Nursing School (across the street) and other changes in our community, South Knoxville Baptist is now a smaller congregation in a large church.  We believe that God has us in this place to serve this community.  We continue to reach out to our ever changing community and pray for growth.